Monday, March 12, 2012

Record Buying Log




So, I need to seriously curtail my record addiction for the next month.

Why, you ask? So I can save up money to buy records of course!

If that doesn't make sense to you then you have never been to the CHIRP Record Fair.

In one month I am gonna get up early, hopefully eat some of my wife's delicious pancakes and then head into the city with G$.

We want our wallets to have as much discretionary income as possible. We are already discussing which vendors we want to hit first. Wishlists are going to be created and shared so we can help each other cover more ground.

Yes, I realize how this sounds but I am way past apologizing.

Screw Record Store Day and their ridiculously unattainable releases! I realize this is not their intention but the collecting community has turned that promotion into something that treats the ardent collector like a junkie; like a target for abuse and deserving of derision.

This is the Junk Drawer baby, so I want to find something personal, something no one else is likely looking for, something that scratches an itch I only knew I had once I hold it in my hands. So once again, CHIRP Record Fair is where I am placing all my chips for the next three months.

Which brings me back to the immediate issue at hand. G$ and I NEED to keep one another from spending any money on records for 3o days in order to justify our spending at CHIRP.

One way I hope to stave this off? Review my recent trips to record stores. Critique the scores and see just how well I fared.

In order to do this I will have to listen to everything I purchase and I figure I can locate my weak spots. Hopefully this exercise will be enjoyable enough that I will keep it as a habit. Patterns will start to emerge and hopefully I can enter a more thoughtful and reflective collecting phase.

What do you think? Is this a good idea as a personal habit of a chronic record collector? Do you trust in my abilities to make it an entertaining read? Do you keep track of how much money you spend on music or do you think it is wiser not to have that figure readily accessible?


No comments:

Post a Comment