Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Logan Hardware - 2/25/12

Attempting to make good on my promise in my last post. Here is the haul from an unexpected Saturday afternoon jaunt to Logan Hardware.

For some inexplicable reason G$ sent me a text mid-morning to see if I could go record shopping. Even more bizarre, I found a way to make it happen when the kids both went down for a nap.

This was the haul:
Bruce Haack - The Electronic Record For Children - $13
Cut Chemist & Nu-Mark - Live at the Variety Arts Center - $9
Cypress Hill - 12" Phuncky Feel One b/w How I Could Just Kill A Man - $7
Rawkus Presents Soundbombing II - 12" Eminem's "Any Man" b/w Pharoah Monche's "WWIII" $4
Quannum feat. Lyrics Born & The Poets of Rhythym - 12" I Changed My Mind - $4

This is how I feel about my scores a few weeks later:

Bruce Haack might be a techno pioneer but I definitely feel burned on this one. I was hoping to add to my canon of quirky music that is also accessible to the kids but this is just a murky mess. It promises to increase awareness but really it just promotes nausea. I don't like it at all and I won't be inflicting it on my kids. I will be looking to sell this one back somewhere - too bad I didn't get the Japanese import version on cd.

In 2006, Cut Chemist sampled a Bruce Haack track on his debut solo album.

That is what passes for a transition here in The Junk Drawer... This live DJ set from 1997 is the standout purchase. My son will LOVE the superhero intro and it is great to hear this hip-hop from 15 years ago mixed in with funk and soul. This is before Serrato, before laptops; just two djs and their turntable antics LIVE. With the Three Little Pigs singing "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf" and Bill Cosby as Fat Albert talking about Halloween back in the day as part of the sonic tableau, this one has a greater chance of getting played for the kids than Bruce Haack that is for damn sure.


The Cypress Hill 12" was a little pricey but it scratched an itch that had been building in me ever since a few months ago. There was talk of a tour emerging featuring a double bill of Public Enemy and Cypress Hill but it fizzled out. But before it was clear it wasn't going to come together I had started researching the feasibility of making them an offer for the annual benefit concert I am responsible for.

What do you think? Would that have been a cool show for a homeless advocacy group? Since it is now merely an academic discussion, how much would you have paid to see that show?

This is what is known as a Double A-Side single cause both tracks are deserving of top billing. For my money though, this is the stronger track:

The Soundbombing 12" represents how deep I had to dig at Logan that day. G$ and I found ourselves in a neglected corner of the room where they had their techno and 12"s. This store has numerous charms but their stock of techno and hip hop records are not chief among them.

Don't misunderstand me though, I am glad to have this record for this price. I am especially happy to own both the instrumental and the street acapella of the Eminem track. It feeds my "latent DJ" that will one day burst forth.

This was back when Eminem was still having fun just being a miscreant.

"Cause any man who would jump in front of a minivan
for twenty grand and a bottle of pain pills and a minithin
is fucking crazy! You hear me?"

You just can't argue with that logic. It is airtight.

Staring at the Quannum 12" right now make me realize I should probably institute a rule of no more than two 12" singles per shopping expedition.

Now I would be the first in line to purchase a Lyrics Born bobblehead, and I once memorized the lyrics to "8 point agenda" but do I really need a Stereo MCs and a DJ Spinna remix of this song? Sure it was only $4 in the store but now it just feels like freight in my collection.

All in all, more winners than losers. Plus Joust was set to infinite lives so I was able to get up to Wave 39(!) before my hand cramped up and I had to take a break.





No comments:

Post a Comment