Friday, March 9, 2012

Digital De-Clutter...

So, my 80 gig iPod is full. If I want new music to go on that means something has to come off. I realize that this is a very modern, first world kind of problem but it is one I am terrible at dealing with.

Whenever I sit down in front of iTunes to cleave some space other contradictory impulses kick in - "oooh, I think I need to give that another listen." "who gave me this album to try out? - did I ever get back to them?" "I don't have enough jazz or blues on here, I better not give this up just yet".

Excetera, Excetera, Excetera until over an hour has gone by and all I have been doing is listening to snippets of music. Not really enjoying anything. Not getting anything done.

Short of buying a newer iPod and thereby staving off the inevitable - I needed to get disciplined about this or I am never going to actually enjoy the new music at my disposal.

So last night I sat down with the oven timer and a goal. Get rid of 20 albums in 10 minutes. Don't think, don't stress, and DON'T LISTEN to anything, just...delete.

Here is what got the ax. How did I do? I think pretty well but if you think something deserves a permanent spot feel free to make a case.

Now I just need to commit to this exercise 5 more times...

1) Poison Arrows EP
2) Raven - Back To Ohio Blues
3) Red Red Meat - There is a Star Above the Manger Tonight
4) Space Streakings - 7-Toku
5) Isaac Hayes - Soundtrack to Shaft
6) Jucifer - L'Achtrienne
7) King Cobb Steelie - Project Twinkle
8) Little Axe - Champagne & Grits
9) Metric - Live It Out
10) Ministry - The Last Sucker
11) Mu - Out of Breach (I kept the song "Like A Little Bitch" for some reason, I must have thought it would come in handy)
12) My Morning Jacket - Chocolate and Ice EP
13) Mylo - Destroy Rock 'N Roll
14) Nirvana - Unplugged
15) Orbital - In Sides (Disc 2)
16) Peaches - Impeach My Bush
17) Quasi - When The Going Gets Dark
18) Richard X Presents...
19) Rodriguez - Cold Fact
20) Roots Manuva - Dub Come Save Me




2 comments:

  1. Some very wise choices. The Raven and Rodriguez discs are always very close to coming off my iPod but have managed to hang on by a thread.

    I find that sorting my library in iTunes in different ways helps with this. I always find different things to come off if I look by Date Added or Lat Played rather Alphabetical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea on the sorting - I will have to try that out with the timer and see what it yields.

    I also need to keep reminding myself that if I ever want to I can always put it back on.

    ReplyDelete