Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Taxpayers

My good friend Dem told me I had to do what I could to spread the word about this band - The Taxpayers - and their latest release.   




Dem wrote an article about the band HERE with some assist from his cohort Becky- it is the first music article he has written in almost four years.  One listen to the music below and it is clear why The Taxpayers demanded a return to the computer keyboard.   Like he mentions in his article, these guys have an authentic edge about them.  



This is a jazz punk concept album that swings with ferocity.  Henry Turner was a pitcher for Georgia Tech in the 1970s but he threw his arm out before he made it to the big leagues.  He lived much of his life homeless.  

That might lead you to believe that the album is a monochromatic downer but it isn't.  It packs a lot of emotions and it is gloriously messy.   

The songs all work as individual tunes but overall I guess I would say that it is very humanistic body of music.   

Most depictions of homelessness in music fall into two distinct camps:

The "homeless as magical" myth variety -- Arrested Development's "Mr. Wendell", Los Lobos's "Angels With Dirty Faces", Roger Miller's "King of The Road", etc. 

Or the "Pity these poor wretches" variety -- "Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Collins or Elvis singing "In The Ghetto" are two examples. 

The Taxpayers have deftly avoided these broad stereotypes.  They knew this guy and they are honoring his life by presenting it straight up. 

As Dem writes - "Henry Turner. Was he simply a misfit? Some of us are. Was his life one of misfortune beyond his control or missed opportunities that he chose to ignore? Was he an asshole or was asshole-ism his defense? None of that is important. Henry Turner was a person and his dignity as a person is revealed in the course of these songs." 

The Taxpayers have such songwriting elan that I hope that my few loyal readers will give this record some serious time and attention.  It will be rewarded.  




2 comments:

  1. i will check it out, man... also lol @ old skull

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will dig these dudes. I was reading their tales from the road last night on the website and it cracked me up.

      Are you getting a best of list together? Even though I am not going to SDs I want a copy of whatever everyone is handing out!

      Delete