Thursday, February 2, 2012

Songs about First Love

I got an email yesterday from my friend RW. He was about to get a call from Sound Opinions to comment on an upcoming Valentine's Day episode. The theme was "Songs About First Love."

This is the song he picked and what he wrote about it that elicited the call:

"Scene of a perfect crime" - Concrete Blonde

I was always struck by this song. It's about first love, but it's about looking back at first love after, after we've been hurt, after we've become harder.

I guess it's a lament, it's grief.

You can never be that innocent again, so you never can be hurt like that again. First Love is the scene of a perfect crime.

"Whatever became of the child I was
I never want to lose her no
I won't give her up
and now my heart is harder,
my skin is getting tougher and tougher
That was another world then
That was another time
You can never go back to the place where love is blind
You can never go back to the scene of a perfect crime."

I don't have an immediate response other than I like his pick and his rationale.

What song would you pick to represent first love?


No comments:

Post a Comment