Monday, February 6, 2012

Alternatives to the Superbowl...

I went to Home Depot yesterday while the Superbowl was in full swing - turns out that is a great time to go if you want to get the undivided attention of their staff.

When I think of the myriad of alternative ways that I have spent Superbowl Sunday by far the coolest was in 1997.

Filmo, SD and I went to see the Brotzmann Tentet at the Unity Temple in Oak Park. I seem to remember it was in the middle of a snowstorm.

I can't find a video of that particular performance which is a shame because I think that week was the only time Mars Williams was in the group - I like Mars and I don't think he gets enough credit.

But here is one of the mighty Peter Brotzmann (a musical hero to Bill Clinton) and his tentet in 2004.



My already limited consumption of free jazz has narrowed to practically zero since having kids. Just watching this video makes it clear that I need to find some time to stare back at the abyss...

1 comment:

  1. I think about that show all the time. I have such vivid memories of driving through a blizzard, realizing that every house I drove by probably had the game on and I was doing something 100% different. Such a great memory...

    ReplyDelete