Friday, February 3, 2012

On this day in 2009...

P.O.S. just reached out through Facebook and reminded me that on this day two years ago his album Never Better was released. It ended up being my favorite album of that year.

This is what I had to say about it back then:

I can not adequately convey this album’s depths or multifaceted dimensions in just a three song go round of the iPod. This might be the only hip hop album I have purchased since Obama was elected. Maybe it has been the only one I have connected with because it triggers such a complexity of emotions. The irony of waking from a long dark nightmare and being blinded by the stark light of what is ahead.

P.O.S. is definitely a very skilled and passionate MC. He doesn’t spell everything out immediately but I believe patience pays off with this album. I have had a full year to digest this diverse collection of songs and they continue to reveal themselves to me while also getting my blood pumping – it is both hopeful and cynical, it is furtive while it walks in broad daylight. It is too big for just the backpackers but too fucking crazy for dilettantes.

Look for me to campaign hard for you to join me at the Bottom Lounge on Thursday, March 18.*
*(So, I managed to bring Shane, Wendi, G$ and Lorenzo along for the ride)

Favorite tracks:
Let It Rattle, Drumroll, Savion Glover, Purexed, Graves, The Basics, Optimist, Terrorish, Never Better, The Brave and the Snake.


HEY - if my blog manages to gain any readership before Feb. 23, 2012 there will be another chance to catch P.O.S. along with his crew of homies at the Bottom Lounge.

This time it will be me, G$, Mrs. G$, Shane, Wendi, Joel "Shut-Yer-Fucking-Face-And-Listen" Frieders, my brother Ben, and the one and only Joe G.




1 comment:

  1. Bit of a nice update: I think I may have finally gotten through to G$ re: P.O.S. being worth his time. On Friday night we were breaking in his new stereo and speakers (more on that later) and this blog post helped facilitate getting Never Better on the turntable. I asked G$ to just sit and listen in silence for the title track. When it was over he asked if I could loan him the album.

    ReplyDelete