Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Nirvana Network

You have likely seen this awesome handwritten note by Kurt Cobain where he lists Nirvana's favorite 50 albums. 

It made me remember this project by photographer Jason Lazarus.  

As he explained in this Chicago Reader article, Lazarus was collecting stories and photos of "the person who turned you on to Nirvana." 

You can go HERE for the collection on his website. 

Here is an example:


"My uncle used to fly me out to Los Angeles as a kid. He was my early introduction to music, especially the ramones and joy division. he paid me $100 to coat check his parties at 8 years old. I listened to nevermind for the first time with him, straight through at the kitchen table. I lost him to AIDS in 1994."

1994 - The Year Punk Broke.  

Who introduced you to Nirvana?  Who was an early conduit to good music for you?  

Seems like a good a time as any to say thanks! 

2 comments:

  1. i don't know that anyone really introduced me to them, as i came in pretty primed from Sub Pop and Mother Love Bone obsession, but I do believe that i heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for the first time with you, dude. possibly on a promo single that came to KDRK in my dorm room

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I remember that experience as such - we listened to it three times in a row and then we ran across campus playing it for other people like we were Paul Revere or something.

      My memory also tells me that we listened to the entire Nevermind album for the first time together in the KDRK office - do you remember it going down like that?

      Delete