Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Snuck Up On You

#3 in an ongoing series from Junk Drawer contributor RW about his experience working @ The Beachland Tavern in Cleveland, OH.
 
Sometimes it takes a while to get in the groove. It might take half a set to get into a band, especially one that plays a genre you're not into. That's what a lot of the bartenders at the Beachland say.
 
Sometimes what wins you over is the fact that they're working so hard, sometimes it's how enthusiastic they are about what they're doing.
 
Diego Garcia was both. It was a damn cold night in Cleveland. I think everyone was a bit grim. I certainly was, sitting at the door, cursing everyone who came in and lowered my body temperature.
 
I definitely wasn't up for romantic latin ballads. But Garcia and his band were so obviously into the music, so happy to be playing even to a small crowd in Cleveland that it became contagious.
 
Diego Garcia - "Roses and Wine"
 
 
Diego Garcia - "All Eyes on You"
 
 
 
The other band that comes to mind is Angela Perley and the Howlin' Moons. I mean, I like my share of honky tonk, but to be honest, I hardly have any in my music collection, but the guitar player in the band was just blistering that night.
 
Angela Perley & The Howlin' Moons - "18 Feet Under"
 
 
It was country and rock, and we all loved it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment