Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Eddie Money Jokes



For the longest time I have been a collector of Eddie Money jokes.  

Well, actually it has only been since 1999 as this Red Meat panel strip was the very first item in my collection. 

The second was a situational pun that I had created with the help of my good buddy CJB;


  • Have you ever taunted a confident friend to a wager on a piece of trivia where they exclaim, "I'll bet you any money!"?
  • Well, you then pretend to mishear and repeat it: "You'll bet me Eddie Money?!"  -- equally incredulously.
For over a decade that was the entire collection.  Just the two jokes.  But I WANTED to add one more.  I have thought desperately on how I could take my lone encounter with Eddie Money at a charity golf outing and turn it into a joke that savages him for the being the lucky hack that quickly evolved into a pathetic has been that he is by also pointing out that he remained a scummy racist throughout. 

Fun fact: Eddie Mahoney got the nickname Eddie Money while he was a NY cop.  

But I couldn't find a way to do it without being reduced to repeating something so reprehensibly meanspirited and racist.   

The fact that he said what he said to me just to puncture my good will after he had already climbed into a limo that my charity paid as it drove away just underscores what a vile prick and a coward this guy could be. 

Then lo and behold, last summer Eddie Money himself participated in the best gag to date, this bizarre commercial for Geico.  This seemed at least partial karmic retribution. 




Wow.  Did Eddie Money bet someone Eddie Money and lose it all?  

This sure seems like the desperate actions of someone in hock to some pretty tough guys. 

After a decade of dormancy the collection grows by 50%!

Then last week, my buddy Barsk posted about this cover on FB. 


Coliseum covers Eddie Money


I might not have even clicked on it, but Barsk was smart to highlight the fact that my man Bruce Lamont sat in and provided saxophone.  It is my strict policy to look into anything Bruce does when there is a chance.  This policy has served me well since its adoption. 

As the pre-performance interview with the band points out, this cover choice was in part a tip of the hat to another couple of Eddie Money  jokes.  This time in the form of surrealist prank calls to Mr. Money from someone known only as Longmont Potion Castle. 




So far I have only been able to find the second one.  So this is just the start. So now we are up to five jokes in the collection and each one is completely unique!

I am going to investigate this Longmont fellow further but I think I am going to take it slow.  

"Don't delete anything on my fucking computer buddy!"  


No comments:

Post a Comment