Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Angel Olsen

I feel like an angel was guiding my hand yesterday when I purchased this record but I suppose the effusive four address label Reckless review should get some of the initial credit.   

"Some have described Angel's music as haunting, others as uniquely natural, but whatever the individual's take on her songs may be - they command the listener's attention." 

The winsome yet mysterious album cover probably deserves kudos as well. 




And then there is the title - Strange Cacti - surely a wink and a nod to Billie Holiday?

Well I am thankful for all the forces at work as well as for being receptive to them because I am now under happily beaming in Angel Olsen's raw and powerful light.  

Her website tells me she lives in Chicago.  Now I feel truly blessed.  

Here are two videos - neither one of these songs are on the record I just bought.  They are on the records that I will soon buy. 

Do yourself a favor and don't click below unless you really have the time to listen.  Early morning or late at night would probably work best.  They are plaintive yet ephemeral.  Stark and simple lullabyes that will alternately uplift or crush your heart. 

Angel Olsen - Tiniest Seed (Official Video) from Randy Sterling Hunter on Vimeo.

GAWD DA-HAM!  Maybe I should have told you listen to her without watching the video.  Even her beauty is starkly haunting.


Angel Olsen - Sweet Dreams (Official Video) from Randy Sterling Hunter on Vimeo.

Strange Cacti has been re-released on Bathetic.  Initially it was self-released on cassette.  This partly explains the first point of comparison my memory banks gave me was when I was just destroyed by my first listen is to Edith Frost's first demo which was later released as an EP.   But in actuality they both have that refined ache to them.  They both come of as real folk and ghostly blues at the same time.

Angel Olsen - I wonder of she would ever consider doing a record with Zola Jesus?  

Whatever she does next, I will be paying attention. 




2 comments: