Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chip off the old block

I am very sensitive to music.  

Even when it is in the background of a crowded, noisy space it hits my nervous system.  I can NOT "tune it out" once I have identified it.  

This has led to some unusual situations in the past.  My pleasant vibe can be ruined just because someone chose to play Lionel Richie at the wrong bar or Jodi Watley at the wrong coffeehouse.  Things can get confrontational at the drop of a hat.  

This afternoon I was with my five year old son at a very crowded tap/grill room.  We were with family - a table of six children and five adults.  Most other tables were occupied by families with young kids as well. 

The place was loud - not obnoxious Chuck E. Cheese level loud - but loud enough that I was surprised when my son came up to me and said, "We know this song, daddy."

Until that moment I had not realized that any music had been playing.  I strained an ear - I still could not pick out a discernible tune.  I was about to tell him I couldn't hear any music when a snatch of it came through.

He was right - it was this track.  I put it on a mix cd for the car last year.



When I told my sweetheart about our kid's expert song identification above the restaurant din, she beamed: "Like Father, Like Son."

  


1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. What a great song to have him recognize. And your labels totally cracked me up. I feel privileged to have been there for both unfortunate incidents.

    LIONEL RICHIE CAN CATCH A BRICK!!!

    ReplyDelete