Friday, November 22, 2013

Cocksure

Is there a nation that is more fluent in swear words than Scotland?

I seriously doubt it - somehow the brogue really brings the filth to the forefront.

Earlier this week I was making a mix for Mitchell and I went out of my way (aka digging through boxes) to put on the eponymous track from Murder Inc. 

Released in 1992 during one of Killing Joke's many hiatuses, Murder Inc. featured Chris Connelly on vocals and his menace and swagger are used to a beautifully bruising effect when he declares - "Make no mistake, we've come to fuck you over"

21 years later - today - Connelly reaches out on Facebook with that sardonic and self-deprecating Scottish wit:

The Revolting Cocks (well, some of them) are back... now they're COCKSURE! If you ever had nostalgia for the giddy heights of 1987 but still have modern aspirations, you will not be disappointed -- the album is packed with grooves, laughs and dirty words!


In the parlance of our times, instead of a few well placed F-bombs there is a LOT of swearing on this track.  Definitely NSFW.



As someone who spent the last two days with Nitzer Ebb's "Belief"* in my car's tape deck, I feel I qualify as one who is open to something that is reminiscent of Wax Trax's glory days with current production values. 

"There was a laugh track at my arraignment..."

 I like this track and I want the rest of this album to follow suit. 

*"Belief" holds up very well, btw. back in the day I played this tape so much that the lettering faded off one side. 


No comments:

Post a Comment