Friday, February 22, 2013

Greatest Hits of a multitude of mixes

So, tonight I am powering through making a shit ton of personalized mix cds.  

It is my debt to the many, many people that supported my fundraising efforts in a 5K run, almost a year ago

I don't do well with ambiguous deadlines - what can I say?

Why the F is it taking so long??  

Well, I can promise that no two mixes are exactly alike AND that I had the specific listener in mind as I selected and sequenced the tracks.  

Still, now that I am twenty mixes I am starting to notice that quite a few of them share a track or two between them. 

Here are the Top 7 common threads: 



Mike Condello - "Soggy Cereal" - I got this off a Pebbles comp LP and actually did the transfer from vinyl myself.  SO, if this ended up on your mix: You're welcome. 




The Monkeywrench - "Cold Cold World [No Organ]" - I have been on a bit of Mudhoney kick of late.  I would love to see them play Riot Fest this year .   This side project of Mark Arm's rose to the surface as I was scanning iTunes and this track is very versatile when it comes to mixes.  It is no bullshit - it brings you back to core messaging. 




Evil Nine (featuring El-P) - "All The Cash" - I almost didn't want to post this one because of the official yet goofy low-rent video.  It is like a 30 second visual joke stretched out to three minutes.  Then I found this one that is just a static image.  It isn't that the album is devoid of humor, I just prefer to find it on my own terms.   



Gossip - "Are You That Somebody" - the above video is a live performance of this Aaliyah cover that Beth Ditto and crew have folded into their sets for years.  Love the original but this soulful live rendition has a mojo all its own. 


TRS-80 - "Prime Numbers"  - "You need to go to New York with that shit".  I would totally buy a TRS-80 Trap music album.  




The Coup - "5 Million Ways to Kill A CEO" - I already posted about this song last year.  Another reason I am so behind in making these mixes is because my hard drive crashed and killed my iTunes library.  

I know, waa-waa, cry me a river.  I realize my excuses are my own and the whole reason I am making these mixes is because homelessness is a growing problem.  


Pigeonhed - "Theme from Pigeonhed" - the thing is, I eventually found a older iTunes library file - three years older.  SO, the silver lining to all these mixes is I am definitely rocking my back catalog.   

*******
That is it.  I don't want to give away all my tricks.  No mix has all seven of these tracks and some don't have any of them.  




No comments:

Post a Comment