Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ego Sensation: A tribute




SD, Mike Mitchell and I saw White Hills at Subterranean last Friday night. As always, they were face-meltingly awesome.
Their heavy acid psych trip is just so rapturous that you really must see it live to truly understand its power.

The fact that they put out three to six records each year and they are all super limited in quantity both excites and infuriates me. Because man am I hooked. SD and I will probably go and see this trio every time they come through town (which is often).

Dave W., the guitarist, was really channeling some insane Eddie Hazel vibe for a stretch of the set. And bassist Ego Sensation is a rocker chick that isn't just crushworthy - she is deserving of total devotion.

I have often expressed a desire to create a blog dedicated to the female bass players out there. Well, whenever I witness Ego Sensation wrapped in a fog from the smoke machine, wearing red velvet hot pants and platform boots just riding an endless groove - I want to pay tribute to just how bitchin' she is, I want the world to know just how bad ass she is. If it were appropriate for the venue, I would lay roses at her feet at the end of the performance.

At the merch table, they are always the most friendly people. I tell Ego that I want to create a shrine for her on the web.

She comes back with "Well, why not? You don't have the time?" - like she has heard this line before.

And I have to admit, "No, I lack the skill. I just don't think I would do you justice".

This post is my attempt to try. Ego Sensation is just that - she is moving in all the right ways. White Hills is worthy of your time. Check them out.

1 comment:

  1. They really are beyond compare. The Funkadelic comparison is totally dead on. There was one song in particular where I felt like I was listening to the Son of Maggot Brain. I love their understated theatrically too. They bring the show but don't overplay their hand.

    ReplyDelete